Saturday, September 19, 2009

It was a God Thing

Avery was set to start school on August 20th and I did not want to miss his first day of First grade(a mom can't miss that) and I knew that Asher would decide to come on the 19th if we did not induce. So we talk to Dr. "N" at our last appointment(Aug. 13th) and decided to induce on Sunday the 16th.(38 weeks and 2 days) Dr. "N" had to go to the hospital for a delivery, so Dr. "W" came in and finished the appointment. He checked to make sure that everything was okay with Asher's kidney and everything was all good. So we left and started making plans for Asher's delivery.

We wanted to deliver at SFH South, but Dr. "N" was on call at SFH(the main one)on the 16th so we had to go there. This was the first God Thing.

Nate and I got to the hospital Sunday morning at 7:30. By 8:00 we were in a room and they started the pitocin. Dr. "N" came in at 8:30 and broke my water. I was a two at this time. I tend to go slow till I get to a four/five then I go fast. Mom and Jerry were next to arrive then about 9:30 Mike and Carol came with Avery and Addison. By this time I already got my epidural and was feeling really good. Around 12:00 I was feeling pressure and my nurse came in to check me and I was a five. About ten minutes later I told Nate that there was a sharp pain with the pressure, so we waited fifteen more minutes to make sure that it stayed and then called the nurse. She came in a checked me again. I was still the same, so she told me to push my epidural button wait fifteen minutes and push it again. She said I should not be feeling the sharp pain in about thirty minutes. She was right thirty minutes from my first push of the button I was feeling good again. Around 2:00 she came back in and said that the baby had been talking to her so she was going to check me. I was now a nine. She told me if I felt anything different to let her know. I told her I could not feel anything. So she said well some women start shaking or get sick when they are complete. I told her I would get sick. About oh I don't know fifteen or thirty minutes later I started throwing up. Mom and Nate were trying to keep up with me and call for the nurse at the same time. She came into the room about ten minutes later(she was in another room helping another nurse). When she came in she said I bet you are complete and threw back the blankets and Asher was all the way out, but his feet(who knows how long he had been there). My nurse starting calling for Dr. "N" to get in the room(you could tell that she was nervous/caught off guard. I could not see Asher, but according to Nate and my mom he was blue and purple). Dr. "N" was just across the hall so he came in pushing all of the carts with all the stuff on them. He told me to give him one push to get his feet out, so at 3:15 pm Asher was born. Dr. "N" had Nate cut the cord and informed us that Asher had a true knot in his cord. This was the second God Thing. Dr. "N" tried to put him right on me(I had already told the nurse that I did not want him on me till he was clean/wrapped in a blanket. I just don't like the blood and white stuff). I told him no I don't want him. So they got him wrapped up and put in the warmer. Nate and mom where checking him out. Once I was all taken care of. Mike,Carol, Avery, and Addison came in to see Asher.
All was good everyone was happy and passing Asher around. Around 4:00 the baby nurse came in and weighed and measured him. She left and came back about 5:00 to take him to the nursery to bathe him. At this time I was moved to my recovery room. Apparently this is when Asher took a turn for the worse. We were not told a lot, just that he had fluid in his lungs and they could be underdeveloped and he was on oxygen. They were taking x-rays to check and he was being admitted to the NICU and could be there anywhere from three to five days.

We go to a family doctor and Dr. "T" does not have privileges for the NICU, so a NICU doctor(Dr. "M") was assigned to Asher. Dr. "M" said Asher did have fluid and he would just have to work it out on his own. He was put on a c-pap, had an IV, feeding tube,and a cannula. In order for him to come home he had to be able to maintain his body heat, his breathing rate, and feed from a bottle. He spent seven days in NICU before he was able to come home. Leaving the hospital with him was very hard.

We went to see Dr. "T" the following Tuesday and talked to her about his birth. She thought that the fluid was more from the way he was delivered than from him being induced early. She said that he probably came out to fast which is why the fluid was still in his lungs.

This time was a big roller coaster for the entire family. But God knew how this was all going to happen from the very start. We just had to have faith.

You may ask why I say things were a God Thing. Well let me explain.

If we had delivered at SFH South they would have moved Asher to the NICU at SFH Main and I would have been left at SFH South. Not a good thing for me.

The true knot in his cord. It was not pulled tight, but if I had not been induced the knot could have become tight while he moved around inside and well if it became to tight he might not have been delivered alive. So you see God put everything in place so that Asher would get to come home with us instead of going home with him.



We are very thankful for all of the thoughts and prayers that everyone said for us!!!

God is Good!


Nate and Asher taking a nap the day Asher got to come home.

3 comments:

Esther said...

Wow, Lori...God is so good...I'm so happy for you all that God let Asher come home with you :) I've got to come meet this little guy that I watched grow all year :) I miss you and our daily naptime talks...

Shannon Dial said...

what a good story of His amazing glory - love you guys

Rebecca Rover said...

Lori-Thanks for sharing the amazing way God works! He really is awesome and you have three beautiful healthy boys!