Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Lesson from Zofran

I have been taking Zofran since I was 9 weeks pregnant and today at 19 weeks I have learned a great lesson.
The directions on the my first three bottles say take one tablet by mouth every 8 to 12 hours. Well the first time I ever took zofran was at the ER in Dec. of 2007 and I was told to put it under my tongue. There are several other people the I know that are also taking it, so I asked them how to take it just to be sure I was doing it right. They all said under the tongue. Well last night I got a new prescription filled and it was a bigger bottle(still 20 pills) and the pills were in foil wrap you know in the punch out form. The directions on the bottle say dissolve one tablet by mouth every 12 hours as needed. The pills also have a cherry smell. Needless to say the new pills only take about one minute to dissolve and don't taste as bad. The other pills took anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes to dissolve and taste gross. Nice to know now I should have been swallowing them instead of letting dissolve.

Lesson learned follow the directions on the bottle and do not ask around.
yellow the ones you swallow
white the ones you let dissolve

1 comments:

Amber said...

That will make a huge difference I'm sure! I can't imagine trying to let the other ones dissolve. I had the dissolving kind you do now and they are gone really quickly. One bit of advice (especially if you have to keep taking it for awhile) is to put it more towards the back of your tongue. You don't taste it as much and for me that was important the longer I had to take it. Hope you start to feel better soon!